I love enjoying the beauty and blooms of summer, with bright sunshine and fresh air. There are so many ways to have fun in the sun with our families during summer!
The warm season also brings out bugs, so we are more likely to get bitten by something during the summer. Being out in the sun without enough protection can lead to burned skin and painful headaches for some.
In addition, increased travel and sports activities during the summer months call for gentle, easy to use homeopathic remedies.
Here are five of my favorite homeopathic remedies to keep on hand during summer activities. You will notice that these remedies focus on stings and burns, except for the (almost) all-purpose homeopathic remedy listed first.
- Arnica Montana: Arnica is commonly used for injuries, bruises, and muscle soreness that may occur during summer activities such as hiking, cycling, or playing sports. It helps reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation. Arnica can also be used to alleviate jet lag.
- Belladonna: Belladonna is useful for sunstroke, heat exhaustion, and headaches associated with exposure to excessive heat. It can help relieve throbbing, pulsating headaches and reduce fever. The face may be red and the pupils dilated. Belladonna is also beneficial for high blood pressure with a flushed face and pounding headache, especially if brought on by getting too hot in the sun.
- Ledum: Ledum is a remedy derived from the plant Ledum palustre, commonly known as wild rosemary or marsh tea. It is very helpful in bites and stings including bee stings, mosquito bites, and tic bites. It is also used in puncture wounds, such as from stepping on a nail, and cat bites. If cold applications such as ice feel good on the bite or injury, it can indicate this remedy.
- Apis Mellifica: Apis is prepared from honey bee venom, so it is an easy remedy to learn and use. This remedy is commonly used for insect bites and stings, including those from bees, wasps, or mosquitoes. There may be rapid swelling, redness, burning, and stinging pain. Apis is also beneficial for allergic reactions such as hives, and can help with poison oak as well when the symptoms fit.
- Urtica Urens: Urtica Urens, derived from the stinging nettle plant, is a valuable remedy for various skin conditions that may arise during summer, such as hives or allergic reactions. It helps alleviate itching, burning, and stinging sensations on the skin, especially if the skin feels better from warm applications. Urtica Urens can also be used for sunburns or prickly heat. It can help with reactions to eating shellfish.
I hope you have a happy, healthy and active summer with these helpful homeopathic remedies!